Saturday, January 1, 2011

How It Started

Like always, expensive things start with an innocent Internet search.  So did this poject. Saw this auction listing.


1922 Ford Model T Speedster Project.
It was a project all right, but it looked to be one that was farther along than you would think at first glance, plus a body and boxes of parts.


 My dad has a 1927 roadster pickup all done.  I also own the crumpled remnants of a 24 touring.   After kicking the idea around a bit with Dad, we decided to bid. To be more accurate, Dad said I was a whimp not to bid (the cost of transportation being a huge factor in my whimpiness).  Our bid was nowhere near the reserve, so negotiations began after that. To be more accurate, Dad showed up at the location where the T was located while on a trip.  He looked it over for all of 15 seconds, struck a deal, and called me after the fact to come up with my half.  My crumpled 1924 was a lot cheaper, and already in my driveway.  Sigh.

This was a project started by a man named Wayne who was unabled to finish it. His son consigned it. We finally settled on a price, money changed hands. And then the head scratching began. How would we get it from California to Wyoming - in the Winter!   I think I might have mentioned the cost of transportation to Dad...