Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hundreds Of Miles Completed.... Inches To Go....

There are many things that can trigger intense loneliness, but there are two that are guaranteed to leave you friendless - moving a piano and moving a Model T.

I made some phone calls for advice, even a very experienced but somewhat sour local T expert would not take the bait.  So, finally decided that even if I could only move it a few feet a day, that would be enough over time to get it into my garage.

I took a chain, a tow strap, and a come-along and anchored to a fence post.  Using this procedure, I slowly ratcheted the T across the yard.  When the cable of the come-along was rolled up, I moved up the fence to the next post, and so on.  After 3 days of after-work effort, I had it off the frozen grass and squared up in my drive way.  This got it close enough to air up the tires, and then I was able to more easily roll it. 

On day 4, it was finally in my garage.  After all these weeks, seeing it up close and in three dimensions was a real victory for me.  More importantly, I could now go over the project to see what a task I had acquired, and what was in those boxes!